Gearbox and o/d identification help needed

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox and o/d identification help needed
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:33:09 +0200
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi list

Please , I need some help in identifying a gearbox ( transmission ) and
overdrive unit that is currently installed in the  GT 6 Mk 1 that I'm
interested in .

It must be Triumph and I have a strong feeling that it's either from a 2000
Saloon or 2.5 Saloon , but due to a home made gearbox tunnel cover  that
could not be removed it was impossible for me to check the serial numbers .
The car is also located a few hours drive away , so can not be checked again
easily .

Basically all I could see is as follows :

Starter on right hand side .
Solenoid horizontally on left hand side .
Clutch slave cylinder on right hand side , but I may be wrong as I did not
make a note of that .

Gear lever has a black plastic knob with the shift pattern inscribed in
white on it and the overdrive switch in the middle .  Gear lever knob is
round / cylindrical , with a flat top and tapers down like this if you
should view it from the side \_/ . I recall a chrome ring around the side of
the knob .

Switch is serrated like this /\/\/\/\ if you should view it from the side .
Overdrive switch shifts forward and backwards with the wording IN at the top
/ forward part and OUT at the bottom / rear part . When switch is shifted it
covers either the IN or OUT wording .

Shift pattern looks as follows :

1                3

I___IN_____I_________
I    OUT      I                I

2               4               R

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated as well as thoughts about the
suitability of installing it in a GT 6 .

TIA
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .

Daily driver : '56 Triumph TR 3 .

In restoration :'64 Triumph Spitfire 4 ( Mk 1 ) .

Long term project :'66 Triumph Spitfire Mk 2 .

Very long term project :'33 Triumph Sports Special .

DISCLAIMER AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE.
All factual and other information within this e-mail including any
attachments, relating to the official business of South African Post Office
(Pty) Ltd., or of any associated company, is the property of the S.A. Post
Office.  It is confidential and legally protected against any unauthorised
use.  The South African Post Office neither owns nor endorses any
information which does not relate to its official business.  This would
include personal mail and/or opinions by senders who may or may not be
employed by the South African Post Office.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the intended recipient.  Please notify
the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached another recipient.
Such recipient must not read, disclose or use the content in any way
whatsoever.
The South African Post Office cannot ensure that this e-mail is free of
errors, viruses, interception or interference and will not be held liable
for any personal mail and/or opinions expressed herein.