strange email today, non-LBC

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: strange email today, non-LBC
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:07:36 -0500
Heads-up, everybody.  I received a very strange piece of email today.  It
was entitled "Internet Security Update" and claimed to be from "Microsoft
Corporation Security Center".  It seems to have taken a path from pfuckie
(whoever or whatever that is) to mailhost.mil.ameritech.net to one of my
internet providers.  It contained an attachment named q216309.exe.  I
figured I would save it to some file then scan it with a virus scanner.  My
resident virus shield (AVG) immediately quarantined it, saying that it
contained a virus named I-Worm/Gibe.A.

The text of the message contained what appeared to be perfectly normal
techno-babble about the IE and Outlook Express bugs that it fixed, and it
gave a reference to an update supposedly listed on Microsoft's website.  I
checked their website; the page is there but the supposed date (7 Mar 2002)
is not one of the listed updates.  (You'd think that the Microsoft website
would be up-to-date, no?)

So it would appear that a new do-it-yourself virus is making the rounds.  I
don't know it if came from any of you.  (Some of you routinely send me email
off the list as a duplicate of list email.)  But you might want to check
your machines.  And don't install any updates that come unsolicited!

Just 2 pence from anothter listmember...
--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com