RE: LBC rust

To: triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBC rust
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:17:57 -0800
> A few years back while having money and vacation times I spent quite a bit
> of time in the "Carribbean Islands", almost all of the taxis on
> those island
> were covered underneath with a mixture of sand & oil, they even pulled the
> door panels off and plastered this concoction inside the doors, must have
> worked quite well they held up against the salt air & water for many, many
> years, also outside of the U/S market the largest remaing Model "A" Fords
> are South America and they have the same pracitce of rust proofing there.

Fred, I wonder if perhaps they also do not put salt (sodium chloride) on the
roads there.  IMO that is far more injurious to a car than being exposed to
salt spray, if only because the underside does not get cleaned and inspected
as often as the outside.  The tires picking up rocks of salt also drives the
salt through the paint, while even a thin layer of paint will protect
against salt air.

Randall - enjoying the 65F salt air today