RE: Ignnition timing? Pinking (pinnging)

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignnition timing? Pinking (pinnging)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:29:19 -0800
Jonmac :

I don't know if this is the thread you recall or not, but there are several
places in the TR2/3 factory literature where it mentions setting the timing
so that pinking is just barely audible when accelerating in high gear, with
heavy throttle, from a low speed.  My experience is that this method works
fairly well on any engine, with the caveats that I like to retard just
slightly from that position, so that the pinking is not audible at all; and
you may need to adjust again in warmer weather.

I honestly feel that this method is _more_ accurate (in terms of what the
engine actually needs given it's current condition, available fuel, etc.)
than just blindly setting the timing to a factory published number.  To do
better will require actually measuring engine performance, with timed
acceleration runs or a rolling road (dynamometer), etc.

YMMV
Randall