Re: Kwiklift car lifts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kwiklift car lifts
From: "mike" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:22:17 -0500
Hi Jay, I've never used one of these before, but it seems awful expensive
for what it is. You can get a real lift for about $2500 - $3000. The fact
that the car is still on it's wheels eliminates most of this lift's
usefulness in my opinion. About 90% of the time I need to raise the car it
has something to do with the suspension, brakes, wheels, etc... You couldn't
do any of that with a ramp style system.

I believe you could get one of those cradle style jacks that will lift the
whole front or rear of the car for way less than the $1200 - $1500 or so
that they want for that one.

Making one yourself is a whole different story. If you're handy with an arc
welder you could probably make a pretty good copy for a few hundred dollars.

There is a style of lift that might be just what your looking for. It's kind
of a large sissors style jack that's about as wide as a vehicle. I believe
it only has one hydraulic piston but it contacts the FRAME in 2 places on
each side. I don't think it's much more expensive than the Kwiklift.

You can check it out here:

http://www.toolsusa.com/ToolsUSA/itempg.icl?itmid=17533&itmcnt=14&numitems=2
0&secid=13&eflag=0&orderidentifier=ID10160688169825EA6437194D50

FYI - I just got a card in the mail from them with a price of $1799 for it -
It's more on the site.

~Mike Brooks