RE: anti theft ideas>Lojack

To: "Triumph List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: anti theft ideas>Lojack
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:20:45 -0500
I am not trying to be overly technical here, but here is how lojack works.
Its pretty neat.  When your car is reported stolen they send out a signal
that turns on a transmitter in your car.  Perhaps you have noticed police
cars with the 4 antennas in a square on the roof.  The receiver in the
police car rapidly switches which antenna it is using to simulate a rotating
antenna.  This creates a doppler shift as the police antenna rotates closer
to your stolen car and away from it.

In ham radio circles transmitter hunting is known as fox hunting.  In the
early 90's a group of us local guys put together kits for the receiver unit.
It really took all the fun out of fox hunting, since time and again I'd be
able to get into my car and drive STRAIGHT to the hidden transmitter.  The
system really works, you're driving down the street and the unit just sits
there and points at the transmitter.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 76-TR7 80-TR8  W4UCK