TR6 on eBay teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g2FElaL13770

Subject: TR6 on eBay teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g2FElaL13770
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:47:25 -0800
My dad sent me this link for a TR6 being offered on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810700580

I checked it out.  The seller claims it is "fully restored" and that
it is a "
fine example of what a TR6 should look and drive like."
Also that it has been "repainted professionally."  Current bid is
$6600.

Now, this might be a reasonably sound TR6, but in my opinion, the
photos which accompany the information belie the seller's verbal
description and they raise what I think are some serious questions
about the car's history and care.

To me, a "professional" paint job would include masking off (if not
removing altogether) the trunk latch, for instance.  In one photo,
the trunk latch can clearly be seen to be painted red.  In another
photo, the strut on the right side of the engine bay which connects
the front inner wing with the top of the grill appears to have red
paint on half of it as well, and it has that overspray look about it
where the red paint fades away as you move along the strut toward the
grill.

In another photo, it appears that the front bumper is crooked, higher
on the driver's side.  Plus, the bumper height appears to be that of
an earlier model.  The bumper is awfully close to the turn signal
lenses, whereas on a '73, there should be a good 1 1/4" between the
lenses and the top of the bumper.  The chin spoiler is missing and
the grill appears to lack the chrome trim on the top and bottom edge,
all of which suggests considerable front end damage at some point,
and that parts were scrounged together from an earlier car for the
repair.

The text also claims the engine was rebuilt 4500 miles back, and
while the engine looks to be reasonably clean, it doesn't look to me
like it's been out of the car that recently.

Also, this 'fully restored' TR6 is missing the passenger-side sun
visor and the forward trunk trim panel and trunk lamp, among other
things.

Am I over-reacting here?  Does this look suspicious to anyone else?

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6