Reason for addition of fuse US only

To: randallyoung@attbi.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Reason for addition of fuse US only
From: Rosspemlee@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:29:08 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2002 1:18:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> .  Why (or even if) it was "fitted USA only", I have no idea.  (If
> someone else does know, please chime in.)

Randall,
Believe it or not I think I know the answer. It seems the Brits don't do much
parking using the Braille method that is quite common in the US. That is why
it took a couple of years of US experience to provide the need for this fuse,
The scenario goes like this; I park my TR2 or early TR3 on a side street in
DC on a warm pleasant evening in '57 so the apple of my eye and I can take in
a movie. Joe six pack, with his lady love and driving dad's '51 Buick Super pu
lls up behind said Rdstr and uses one of those pretty lucas lenses to bring
the Burick to a stop. ($1.85) Looking at it you can hardly notice the
difference but the lens is cracked and the little metal dohickey that holds
the brake light wire bullet to the body of the light is now resting lightly
against the chrome plated body of the light.
I arrive after the movie and head out, at the first light I hit the brakes
and get a slight whiff of burned plastic insulation. It is not enough of a
short to take out the switch or one of the two monster fuses on the firewall
but it does create a bunch of heat at the point where the brake light wire
connection is now touching the body of the light. As I progress the wire
melts merrily up the wire loom and, in extreme cases melts all the way to the
dash er ah facia panel.
I well remember this little gem as I used to be the electrical guru of our
dealership and made a good bit of money replacing these wire looms in the
late '50's Labor rate was $5.00 per hour and flat rate on the wire loom was
about a day. I got so I could do it in a little over 2 hours.
Doug Ross