Re: Reason for addition of fuse US only

To: Rosspemlee@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reason for addition of fuse US only
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:01:13 EST
In a message dated 3/15/02 8:31:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rosspemlee@aol.com writes:

> > .  Why (or even if) it was "fitted USA only", I have no idea.  (If
> > someone else does know, please chime in.)
> >

> Randall,
> Believe it or not I think I know the answer. It seems the Brits don't do
> much
> parking using the Braille method that is quite common in the US. That is
> why
> it took a couple of years of US experience to provide the need for this
> fuse,
> The scenario goes like this; I park my TR2 or early TR3 on a side street in
>
> DC on a warm pleasant evening in '57 so the apple of my eye and I can take
> in
> a movie. Joe six pack, with his lady love and driving dad's '51 Buick Super
> pu
> lls up behind said Rdstr and uses one of those pretty lucas lenses to bring
>
> the Burick to a stop. ($1.85) Looking at it you can hardly notice the
> difference but the lens is cracked and the little metal dohickey that holds
>
> the brake light wire bullet to the body of the light is now resting lightly
>
> against the chrome plated body of the light.
> I arrive after the movie and head out, at the first light I hit the brakes
> and get a slight whiff of burned plastic insulation. It is not enough of a
> short to take out the switch or one of the two monster fuses on the
> firewall
> but it does create a bunch of heat at the point where the brake light wire
> connection is now touching the body of the light. As I progress the wire
> melts merrily up the wire loom and, in extreme cases melts all the way to
> the
> dash er ah facia panel.
> I well remember this little gem as I used to be the electrical guru of our
> dealership and made a good bit of money replacing these wire looms in the
> late '50's Labor rate was $5.00 per hour and flat rate on the wire loom was
>
> about a day. I got so I could do it in a little over 2 hours.
> Doug Ross

What  a list eh Randall? I knew someone out there would know the answer but
who would've thunk that this was it?

Thank you DOUG!  Since I replaced my wire without the fuse I guess I'm safe
foe a while as long as I'm not shoehorning in anywhere (highly unlikely!)

Ray Antoky

1959 TR3A TS 74538