Progress

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Progress
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:05:04 -0500
For those keeping an eye on my restoration...

The 12/50 engine for my Herald is now just about complete- The head went on
Monday, along with the rocker rod, et al, nice Orange(Hey- that's the color it
as when it came off the Spitfire!) rocker cover dropped in place. Oil filter
and Bosch plugs in place, just waiting to send the distributor out for
rebushing and general overhaul. I built a mount for the AC/Delco alternator I
am converting to, using the original mounts, and just adding a bottom mount,
and tilting the alternator. Should work nicely. I will post pics when I get a
chance, of the whole setup.

The transmission parts are starting to flow in- Fitchetts package already
arrived, with the thrust washers, and I am waiting for the remainder of the
rebuild parts from Rimmer's, hopefully to be seen in the next few days. Gears
all looked fine, so no worries there. Just a reminder to those of us who have
forgotten more than some people know about old cars- when removing the
input/output shaftings, always remove the layshaft first, allowing the cluster
gear to drop, and allow the pieces to pass through easily...

Today should see the last three little welding jobs finished, along with the
start of the body priming, and smoothing of areas as yet still a little rough.

New boot handle arrived yesterday, as did my nice new heater valve and o-ring.
Also, I recovered my dash last week- a tough job, but it looks close, though
not identical, to the original. The grain is a close match, but it is a soft
vinyl as opposed to the hard stuff that was there.

I'm waiting for one of Bill Davies' commission plates- can't wait to see it...

Soon, she will be on the road... :)
Scott