Re: 1/2" wheel stud source and specificaitons

To: sdtilton@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1/2" wheel stud source and specificaitons
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:28:04 EST
In a message dated 3/17/02 1:08:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sdtilton@yahoo.com writes:

<< Anyone know where I can get them or if there is specifically anything I
need to
 ask for?

 Can I get them at the local autoparts store?
 Do I have to request a certain numnber of splines? >>

Better auto parts stores such as NAPA or a high quality independent have
books that list wheel studs listed by size.  They will be listed by knurl (
spline) diameter and length, thread size and by overall length.  Spline count
varies by manufacturer and is not critical.   Replacement studs usually are
oversized a bit since removing the old stud opens the hole up a bit.  Drilled
hole size typically is not listed.

If you are converting from hubs with internal threads to press in studs,
drill size selection is critical since it is the knurl that cuts into the
hole.  Too small a hole the hub could crack, too large of a hole and the stud
will spin in the hole.  It would be a good idea make a test piece so fit
could be judged.  A machine shop ( automotive or tool and die) could do the
conversion without any problems. ( be sure to give them the measurements from
the book and maybe a spare stud or two)

Use a mirror and see if any numbers are on the rear studs.  Doorman and NAPA
brand have numbers in the form of   123-456

Harold