Re: TR4: front corner clonking/rattling

To: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4: front corner clonking/rattling
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:21:52 -0600
At 13:23 -0800 03/19/02, Steven Newell wrote:

>Here are my guesses, any I've missed? Most likely?
>
>1. wheel bearings angry about recent foul weather
>driving and long time since they were visited by
>grease?
>
>2. old rubber suspension bushings applying for
>retirement benefits? I didn't find huge play in the
>front suspension while it was up, but I can wiggle the
>top of the shock absorber on that side.

Steven -

I would try tightening up the top of that shock absorber.  You should
not be able to wiggle the top of it around; if you can do it by hand,
then the forces applied to your suspension can make it clonk around
pretty forcefully.

I had a very similar symptom to what you describe with my truck; I
found the driver's side front shock to be loose.  Tightening it a bit
cleared it up.

Good luck!

Dan

P.S.  I *really* like the word "clonk"!

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Brakes partly complete, transmission in pieces.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!