TR4: front corner clonking/rattling

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: front corner clonking/rattling
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:23:30 -0800 (PST)
For a few days I've noticed a rattling or clonking
that sounds like it's from the left/driver's front
corner of my TR4 (early, live axle). It sounds like a
big metal part wobbling around, not a vibration. I
hear it at low speed, rolling to a stop light, or
driving through the rough-paved alley behind the
office. Also when I pull up to the front of the house.
With engine off (say, coasting to the curb) it's still
there.

I took off the front wheels this weekend and the
splines are quite nice. There didn't seem to be a
great deal of bearing play. I did clean the front wire
wheels -- and they looked so nice I was tempted to
tear the car down for a frame off restoration. Instead
I left the rear wheels dirty so I could see what a
difference it made. <g>

On that tire there is a seriously worn patch of tread,
as with an alignment problem. Otherwise all the big
parts appear to be still attached. Motor rebuilt in
'00 (15K miles) and clutch has 16K miles.

Here are my guesses, any I've missed? Most likely?

1. wheel bearings angry about recent foul weather
driving and long time since they were visited by
grease?

2. old rubber suspension bushings applying for
retirement benefits? I didn't find huge play in the
front suspension while it was up, but I can wiggle the
top of the shock absorber on that side.

3. clutch ready to consume savings account? Not sure
but I think the clutch pedal is always down when I
hear it.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4