axle shaft bolt torque.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: axle shaft bolt torque.
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 04:42:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Bill.Williams@COMPAQ.com
Does anyone have the correct torque wrench setting for the four bolts and nuts
that
attach the half shaft to the side of the differential?

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta
74 TR6

I thought for sure that someone would have answered this.

I'm sorry I don't have my manual here with me . . . . . but I'm pretty sure it
is in the Bentley manual.  Perhaps not in the rear axle section, but in the
general specifications section.

Having swapped my rear a couple times in the past year . . . I seem to remember
a figure like 24 or 28 ft.lbs of torque for these bolts.

I was surprised it wasn't higher too.
But then on the other hand . . .70 seems a bit too high.

I don't think these bolts really shouldn't see much in the way of axial load.
Unlike a head stud or a wheel lug which gets pulled on.  Most of their stress
is in a shearing direction.

Unless of course the splines on the axle shafts aren't doing their job.
But even then I'd think in order to put a tensile load on the bolts, you'd more
likely lift a wheel.  If the splines bind while the rear of the car is squating
. . . then the axle shaft is going to press against the differential flange as
opposed to pulling on the bolts.

I could be way off on all this.
I'm just typing off the top of my head and I'm not fully awake yet.  :-)

Having typed all that. . .I will say this:  After changing driveshafts and axle
shafts,  I found some of the bolts and nuts had loosed up a few months later.

Not a good thing.

Use the right nuts and bolts.
Use the right right torque.  (maybe even use some non permanent loc-tite)
Make sure the mating faces of the flanges are clean and seated well against
each other.

Then check them again after a couple of oil changes.

Scott Tilton
TR6 everyday in Leesburg, VA
http://movies.yahoo.com/