Overseas shipping - another experience

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overseas shipping - another experience
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:50:49 -0500
Patrick Bitton wrote:
... The only problem is the shipping. ...I wanted to buy
sunvisors from John Skinner and shipping to Canada was "Shipping at cost
but estimate #30 air or #20 surface". That is just for sunvisors! Call
around and see what they charge for shipping. Shipping discourages me
from
shopping overseas.

Recently I purchased an instrument cluster for a Vauxhall from a salvage
yard and had it shipped from the UK to the US.  Cost was 30 pound for
the part, 48 pound for shipping (plus VAT on both the part and
shipping).  BTW, the boxed instrument cluster weight was less than 2
lbs.  In my case the salvage yard did not ship internationally and they
handed the box over to a shipping company who intern used UPS. I
probably could have saved myself the 17% for VAT but trying to explain
(to someone in the UK that does not ship parts out of the country) that
VAT does not apply to export items (as I understand it) seemed futile.