RE: Tr4 Idling Speed & polarity

To: Bob Savar <bsavar@wwwcomm.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tr4 Idling Speed & polarity
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:15:19 -0800
> Two questions about my '62 TR4.
> 1. What should the idling speed be (RPM's)

I believe the 'book' setting is 500 rpm, however in practice it varies a
fair amount (at least for me).  I've had it drop by 200 rpm, just sitting at
a red light as the underhood temp goes up (and the electric fan kicks in).
So, I usually set it to about 750.

Also be aware that a great many of the original tachometers read high by
now, due to internal wear.  Mine reads about 250 rpm high at idle, so the
actual tach reading I use is 1000.

> 2. I have purchased a new radio that fits perfectly, but I've been told
> that the radio will not work because of the battery voltage.  Any
> suggestions?

Convert to negative ground.  See
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/negative-ground.html
for instructions.

It's also possible to buy a "ground adapter", but they aren't especially
cheap or reliable.  Last I looked, JCW sold one for about $60 ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV