Flunking State Vehicle Inspections

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Flunking State Vehicle Inspections
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:30:12 -0800 (PST)
Good grief I'm glad I don't have to go through emissions inspections.

I think I'd be tempted to try and find a nice clean running engine and pass it
around amongst club members.

"Take your engine out and clean it or do some work to it. . then put this one
in temporarily and pass your inspection."

I actually just failed the local VA inspection last week despite not having to
endure emission checking.

Flunked for license plate lamps not working and head lamp misadjustment.

Here's my comments on those two items:

I had actually replaced the gasket on the bumper mounted license plate lights
(1970 TR6) during the past year.   That was a pain in the ass, and an expensive
gasket to boot.

I'm not sure how I lost the ground path for the lights. . not even sure exactly
how the ground path is supposed to work to be honest.  Any comments are
welcome.

As far as the Head Light aiming goes . . . it certainly is much better with the
right light aimed correctly.  It was also another PITA though.

Besides having some mediocre work done on it in the past . . .the head lamp
bucket rim was all bent up and the PLASTIC threaded inserts were toast.

I ended up digging out a spare TR-4 head lamp assembly and making it work.  At
least the threaded inserts were metal!

Now if the little short inspection "mechanic" would just hold his other
comments to himself.  "your clutch needs adjusting"

NO YOU CAN'T adjust the clutch.  You can move the seat forward and push the
pedal in farther though shorty!

Scott Tilton
1970 TR-6 with a big rejection sticker on the windsheild in Leesburg, VA
http://movies.yahoo.com/