RE: Pot Metal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pot Metal
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:28:38 -0800
> I was at a local welder today, inquiring if he could repair a piece of
> moulding for my square tail GT6.  (It's cracked and missing some
> metal.)  He said he could not repair it, because "it's pot metal."
>
> What's pot metal, and can you not even braze it?

The exact composition varies widely, but usually includes tin and zinc (and
whatever else got thrown in the melting pot).  Because the zinc vaporizes at
fairly low temperatures (and is poisonous when it does), it can't be welded
or brazed with the usual techniques.  There are several varieties of solder
that claim they will work with pot metal, but I haven't tried any of them.
See
http://www.muggyweld.com/super1.html
for one example.

Actually, I did try one from the swap meet, but my propane torch wouldn't
heat the piece hot enough, and I still haven't gotten the OA torch repaired
to try it.

NFI
Randall