Re: 2 speed Windsheild wipers (And reach over the windshield) Long

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 speed Windsheild wipers (And reach over the windshield) Long
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:47:33 -0000
Hi Carl
Many years back, I think it was when the 2500S saloons were current, I was
travelling with my parents from Cumbria (up north) to Birmingham, for an
over night stop with relatives before returning to the Isle of Wight (south
coast). About half way to Birmingham it started to snow, after about 5
minutes the drivers wiper stopped wiping. So we stopped and adjusted the
position of the arm on the spline, this worked for a bit but then gave up
again, so we stopped and rigged string between the two wipers and in a loop
through the car (not easy to reach over the top in a saloon car!) so that my
mother could work it back and forth to clear the screen. This worked a bit
but the string seemed to lift the wipers as the efficiency was much reduced.
So we disconnected it from the other wiper and it was used occasionally to
reduce the thickness of snow in front of the driver and Dad got a bad back
and neck leaning on to the passenger seat to look out of the clear bit of
screen.
We somehow arrived safely in Birmingham and the next morning (Sunday, long
before Sunday opening!) with several inches of snow on the ground we took
the dash panel out and found that the wheel box wheel was smooth.
A chap walking his dog stopped and said "Trouble mate?" and Dad glibly
replied "no thanks mate I have enough of my own at the moment, the wheel box
is wrecked!"
The chap with the dog said he thought he had one so we went with him to his
house and up to his shed, where he rummaged around and produced a boxed new
wheel box. and then gave us tips on how to fit it, seems he used to have a
2500 saloon and also worked for Leyland at their Triumph plant!

Graham.