TR3a exhaust studs conclusion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3a exhaust studs conclusion
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:13:23 -0500
Thank you all for the fabulous response to my question about whether to use
stainless steel bolts instead of studs in this application. I got answers
ranging all the way from yes to no. Here is a summary:

- use brass nuts; they were original
- stainless should work perfectly well for this
- do not use stainless for this; it's too soft
- stainless is about grade 2
- stainless can be found in various grades
- use grade 8 for this application
- it is unlikely there is anything higher than grade 5 on a Triumph
- stainless will tend to gall
- use anti-seize (unanimous)
- this spot is too hot for regular Loctite
- you can get a set in a handy 3-pack at the local auto store

That last one did it for me. I hadn't realized that what really lay behind
my question was "I want my life to be simpler". Thanks to Mr. J. Kramer for
supplying the winning answer!
What Cosmo didn't catch was that while a TR4 needs 4 studs and nuts, a TR3
needs 3 (like, where did you THINK they got the model numbers dude?), so
the 3-pack is perfect! It has brass nuts, lock washers, and the studs are
galvanized, and you bet I will use anti-seize.

Thanks everyone!
JIm