Crankshaft Shims

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankshaft Shims
From: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:52:18 -0500
Hi List!
    I've been following the past threads on measuring  the Camshaft
Front Bearing End Float, & I've read 3 different manuals on this [if
they were printed in the manual]. I along with another person, We could
Not see how one can measure the end float. So, we skipped that part, &
went a head to installing the sprockets on the cam/crank shafts. When I
dissambled the engine some 30 yr. ago there were3 shims behind the
Crankshaft Sprocket [.005", .005", &  .004"]. Now that I've installed
new std. main, connecting rod, & Thrust Washers. I put the Cankshaft
Sprocket back on the crankshaft with [.005",.005" shimms]. Then I took a
.004" feeler gauge & slipped it under the 'middle point' [Pt1- on crank
side tooth of the cankshaft Sprocket, Pt3 on the end of the Camshaft
Sprocket end, Pt2 is then in between  the inner side of the Camshaft
Sprocket & straight edge], & was able to slip it in between the straight
edge & sprocket. I then removed one of the .005" shim & was still able
to insert the .004" shim in at Pt. 2. Therefore, I removed that other
.005" shim & installed the crankshaft Sprocket & tested with the .004"
feeler stick to NOT be able to insert it in. So, at one time, there was
.014" total shim distance between the Crankshaft & sprocket, & now there
are NO shims in to have the two sprockets align correctly. Question:
1-     Is this right?
2 -    Why when the engine is rebuilt,  I can't use any of the shims &
as it did before?
-Cosmo Kramer