RE: Crankshaft Shims

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crankshaft Shims
From: "ATT" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:28:07 -0800
Cosmo :

If memory serves, you have to have the camshaft out of the block (with the
front bearing and sprocket temporarily installed on it) to measure end float
with feeler gages.  You then measure the float between the rear of the front
bearing, and the flange on the camshaft.

One explanation for your needing to remove all the shims might be that the
front cam bearing is significantly worn, thus the camshaft is moving that
far to the rear.  You need to check both crank and cam endfloat before
selecting shims, and be sure both are pushed to the rear of their travel
when measuring for shims.

Randall