TSOA - a little bit of history

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TSOA - a little bit of history
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:33:11 -0000
Fellow listers
I've unwrapped a little bit of history today and I'll be pleased to
share it with you in pictures as soon as I can get my hands on the
digicamera at work. Background is as follows:
In 1952, one Drummond Phillips and his wife Edna (formerly Sir John
Black's secretary) were posted to Toronto. Drummond's main task was to
launch the TR2 (which he did) and to evaluate the possibility of
making ST cars in North America (which it didn't.) The family returned
to the UK in 1956/57 and Drummond was responsible for several years
for planning and arranging the TSOA European Tours. For the unaware,
these tours usually comprised the better part of 100 TR's that were
all collected 'factory fresh' and then set out on a European trip,
lasting about a month. After that, the cars were shipped home. This
became a regular event for several years.
Edna who is still alive - and a dear lady of 94 - phoned me the other
day, saying she'd found a TSOA tray - and would I like it?
This is one of the trays given by the company to each crew taking part
in the European Tour as a memento of the trip.
It's in the very best of ultra-modern design of the late 1950's with a
black face on which the map of Europe and the route the Tour took is
clear to see. Other graphics e.g. Eiffel Tower, Swiss Chalets, Pisa,
Vatican and Eros in Piccadilly as well as the TSOA logo and title
"Rally of Europe". Trouble is, it doesn't give the date or say whether
they went clockwise or anti-clockwise! It measures about 20"x10" and
has been used - so it's not pristine.
Knowing that TSOA is important to many North American enthusiasts, I'm
happy to send the pix to whoever will be able to give them MAXIMUM
visibility and it occurs to me that VTR's website is an ideal
location. However, I'll happily send it to other clubs providing I
receive an email address to mail to by 7th April. I'd much rather do
the pix distribution in one hit rather than piecemeal as time is money
when I'm on-line. Please let me know if you're interested and
circulate this post to newsletter editors you might know who may not
be on the list. Thanks
Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O)