RE: she's hot

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: she's hot
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:29:07 -0800
Larry :

I would start by disconnecting the vacuum line(s) to the dizzy, and trying
to get it to run that way.  I'm not certain (and my Haynes is unclear on the
subject), but I think a 72 US-emissions model would have only vacuum retard
anyway.

With it disconnected, the ignition timing should move smartly (no visible
delay) to match engine speed.  If it doesn't, then the dizzy (or the
mechanical advance mechanism inside it) needs attention.

I can't find an advance curve for your engine, only a static (ie 500 rpm or
less, no vacuum retard or advance) spec of 6 BTDC.  Non-emission cars used
13 BTDC.

I did find a factory spec for earlier non-emission GT6, which gives the
mechanical advance at 3000 rpm as being between 10 and 14.2, for a total of
23-27.2 degrees BTDC.  The later spec is undoubtedly different, but this is
probably not a bad place to start.  And yes, having the ignition retarded by
10 degrees may cause overheating.

One other thought : pull off the hoses to the carb bowl vents and see if
that makes a difference.

Randall