History & a Mystery (long and possibly honing)

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: History & a Mystery (long and possibly honing)
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:57:35 -0700
Got my BMIHT certificate for the TR4 today.  I was very interested in
how it would come out as the car has some large gaps between the
numbers:

Commission: CT 36536 L    Engine: CT 29988 E    Body: 29272 CT

When I had previously removed the 'original' commission plate to replace
it with a fresh one (brake fluid had gotten to the old one) I had found
a second set of holes where a prior commission plate had apparently been
mounted and then drilled out.  FWIW the rivets on the plate I removed
looked like 'factory' to my eye.

The BMIHT indicated:

Commission: CT/36536-L     Engine: CT/29938-E     Body: 'not recorded'

Something strange seems to have happened -- perhaps before the car left
Coventry.  The engine number is so similar that I wonder if the car was
re-commissioned and in preparing the records the engine number was
misread.

To others who have obtained certificates for their TR4s... was your body
number present on the cert or 'not recorded'.

 I suppose for another $65 I could have them search using the body
number I have and see what commission number that turns up.

Speculation welcome, though at this point I doubt I will ever know the
whole story.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Tucson