Re: Yet Another Corvair Confession---No Triumph Content

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet Another Corvair Confession---No Triumph Content
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:52:17 EST
In a message dated 3/29/2002 8:39:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rikrock@aol.com writes:

> My name is Rich, and I used to own a Corvair.........
>
> A 1965, with the 4-carb 140 horse engine.

Oh why not? Time to come clean here, too. Friends of mine hosted a Swiss
exchange student for a few months around 1972. The student bought a '65
Corvair (convertible, basic engine and PowerGlide two on the dash!) to use
while he was here. His original plan was to simply leave the car at the
airport in New York when he flew back home. I convinced him to, uh, leave the
car in my care.

I enjoyed it off and on for a few months while having little luck selling it
for him. At some point, the windshield cracked, dashing any hopes for a
decent selling price. Finally, a doctor friend bought it for $100 to give a
friend of his as a gag wedding present (I didn't ask about that).

Corvairs were worth very little in the early 1970s. Now, though, it might
just be worth...well... a bit more?

Oblg. Triumph Content: the Corvair was usually parked in my yard next to the
Fiat 850 Coupe owned by a friend who previously had owned a red TR4. (Ok,
tenuous connection, I know, but she was very attractive!)

--Andy Mace