Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Subject: Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:14:27 GMT
Cc: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
ZoboHerald@aol.com writes:

> John, I suspect it was the same situation with the Herald as it was with the
> TR4A. The Fifth Edition Herald 1200 Spare Parts Catalogue lists parts to fit
> the Lucas 11AC alternator (and separate regulator). Otherwise, the TR250 was
> possibly the first Triumph in the US market to be fitted with an alternator
> in 1968 (again with separate regulator). I know that the 1970 GT6+ had an
> alternator (don't know for sure about the 1969 models), and I don't think
> Spitfires had them until the MkIV.

I recall a conversation with someone with a very late TR4A at the `97 VTR
national. I had wondered why the fellow was asking the owner next to him
about a very, very minor cable routing matter when he had an aftermarket
Delco alternator on the car. He said, look closer, and I did. It was a
British Delco alternator--almost identical to the American version, but the
case at the rear wasn't squared off, but rounded slightly. He swore the car
was delivered with it, and said it was the original, and that the internal
parts were available from any Delco outlet in the U.S. Used with a Lucas
external regulator.

Don't recall ever seeing another instance of this, though, on a `4A.

Cheers.