RE: camera NON LBC

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: camera NON LBC
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:54:14 -0700
FWIW, I agree with Bob, but here's a few more comments :

Another thing to look for in a camera is how it interfaces to your computer
system and whether the software that comes with it is supported on your
operating system.  Windows NT for instance does not normally support USB,
and the serial interface el cheapo camera I picked up is painfully slow even
at 1/3 megapixel.  Also consider whether you get a media reader with the
camera, or have to use the camera itself to read the media into your
computer.

If you do pay for the higher resolution, it's easy to cut back on it for
electronic distribution.  When scanning material, I like to scan it at 300
dpi, then cut back to 96 dpi for distribution.  96 dpi is about all you can
see on a computer monitor anyway.

Note that file size goes up as the square of the resolution, so a 300 dpi
image is almost 10 times as large as a 96 dpi image (if everything else
remains the same).

When buying a scanner, it's important to ask what the optical resolution is.
Many units available today advertise 'digital' resolutions that are
meaningless.

Takes a lot of RAM to push around digital images on your PC, you might also
want to consider a RAM upgrade.

Randall