Re: camera NON LBC

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: camera NON LBC
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:06:02 -0700
Fred,
If you're going to take pictures of LBC's, that makes it relevant, right?
But $1.49?

Here's a few things I picked up while looking into buying a digital camera,
which I haven't done yet:

Number of pixels is directly related to cost.  How many do you need depends
on what you want to use it for.  If you plan on making color prints, I
wouldn't settle for less than 2 megapixels, this will allow prints up to 5x7
that are near enough to 35 mm quality. (only a professional could tell the
difference).  3 Megapixels will get you prints of similar quality up to
8x10.  But these are much too many pixels for electronic distribution. If
you are only going to use it for web sites or e-mail, 1.3 megapixels should
do fine.

Look for movie mode if you want short motion pictures.  This is cool for web
sites, but also handy for action shots, letting you pick a frame out of
sequence to catch just the right moment.

Zoom - comes in 2 forms, optical and digital.  Optical is much better,
digital you can do with software and affects quality.  If you're going for a
few extra bucks on a camera, optical zoom, (2x or 3x) is in my mind a good
investment.

Power- these things eat up batteries, so look at how they're powered.
rechargeable is cheapest, but you don't want to be caught wanting to take a
pic and have to go plug in somewhere. I'd opt for AA's or AAA's and get the
rechargeable setup so you will always have a backup.

Media- this is getting cheaper and standardized, so less of a problem.  The
camera will probably come with minimum storage so check out the price and
availability of additional cards.

Size - Some are getting pretty small.  ELF is a nice size, fits in your
pocket, always available, easy to take along.

Some of the ones I've been looking at, in addition to the ELF, are CAMEDIA,
and the Nikon Koolpix.

BTW, while you are looking for a scanner, the same relationship with
bits/inch and cost but I bought a cheap one and if I try to use the highest
density scan, the computer can't process the image or, if it does, it's so
large that ther eis no way I could e-mail it or put it on a web site. So,
unless yo are planning on some pretty sophisticated graphic artistry, I
would suggest saving your money.

JMHO, I'm sure there will be others.

Bob

Good luck,