camshaft question, 1st car

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: camshaft question, 1st car
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:04:25 -0700
OK so I got a reground crankshaft, put it in and notice that the cam
lobes arent really centered in the lifter holes.  In fact, a couple of
them have the edge of the lobe practically in the center of the lifter
hole, and as a result some of the offset lobe doesnt even contact the
lifter .  Compared it to the original cam and it looks about the same.
Is this intentional?

Like Bob Westerdale, my first car was a 60 TR3 that I bought for $50 at
age 17 in 1968.  It didnt run, so the owner let me use his garage to fix
it up (needed a fuel pump).  But then other things went belly up in
short order and when the costs got way more than the price of the car, I
said uncle.  About 6 months later I bought a 1958 MGA for $150 which I
drove for a year until it needed a clutch and engine rebuild, which I
couldnt afford since I was in college and didnt have a garage.  About
ten years later got the LBC bug again and rebuilt two low mile MGB's,
both which were totalled due to engine fire.  Drove them for awhile and
started a family, and that did it for LBC's until two years ago.  Oh
yes, also had 3 Lancia Beta Coupes, which I would love to own again but
some parts tend to be scarce and not as readily available as LBCs, and
hence more $$$.  Those little 1800 DOHC engines were really fun and
didnt seem to have a red line.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6