TR4 Rear Springs - Warning!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Rear Springs - Warning!
From: David Delano <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:51:12 -0800 (PST)
When ordering new solid axle, rear springs for your
TR4, make sure you specifically ask for a MATCHED
PAIR!

I currently have in my garage, next to my jack standed
'61 TR4, three different springs that do not match in
either tension or height - all ordered from samesamm
supplier MXXX Motors!

At first glance they look the same.  Here's the test:
place them side-by-side, upside-down on a flat, hard
surface in exactly the same position...  flex them a
few times with a little weight from your hand or
LIGHTLY with your foot - just to release any kinetic
tension that might be there, then inspect them
carefully for height...  Mine were off by about 3/4"
and when installed on the car (previous to this event)
the carnoticeablyoticably to the "weak" side :-(

I mistakenly assumed the stronger spring was a comp.
spring so I decided to order another one of those and
replace the weak side with this one - this is how I
ended up with three odd-ball springs in my garage...
They are all being shipped back to be replaced with a
matched pair...

Visually the stronger spring looks slightly different
-the angle of the bevel cuts on the ends of the
"leafs&slightly slighly less acute (more blunt cuts)
so this is a visual clue as well if the side-by-side
test does not produce results.  They appear to be from
different manufacturers with a sdifferentdiffernt
grade of steel and flex.

I hope this saves someone the headache of removing,
shipping and replacing a mis-matched pair!

Happy hunting - CT0675