RE: TR3 Steering box problem

To: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering box problem
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:11:20 -0800
> I filed up my steering box the other day with oil. I used a new
> compresstion ring over the stator tube and a new nut. It is
> leaking between the stator tube and the inside of the nut.
>
> I guess I will have to redo it, any ideas what I can do to ensure
> it does not leak... any tips ?

Pat, I'm not sure, but ISTR the original 'gland' was larger than the
commonly available replacements, and on my car the nut would bottom before
adequately crushing the replacement.  I put the original gland back in, it
sealed (and locked the stator tube) just fine.  Also check the surface of
the tube, it has to be clean and round, no grooves or nicks.  If it's
damaged only where the old gland rode, you may be able to move it in or out
a little and get a fresh surface.

Randall