measuring cam

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: measuring cam
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:38:10 -0500
Once again I approach the fountain of LBC knowledge. I am now having to
admit somewhat sheepishly that when I started working on my car I did so in
a rather seat-of-the-pants way. Now you could say it has come back to bite
me. :^o As mentioned before to the list, I have a 1972 TR6 that I have been
rebuilding off and on since 1989. I am now at that familiar point where one
begins to redo the first 90% in order to finish the last 10% of the job.

During the rebuild I had the firm doing my engine block grind the cam to
goose things up a bit. The problem is that the rebuild was done in 1993 and
not turned on until 1998. Now the rebuilder has gone to that great
restoration shop in the sky. In order to determine my next steps on the
engine induction and a few other things I really need to know exactly what
they did do to my cam.

I am guessing that the shop read the book and figured that the equivalent of
an S2 grind was appropriate. She is quite peppy and doesn't idle all that
well below 900-1000 rpm. Unfortunately that is the original tach reading
which is I am told to be considered as highly suspect. She seems to have
more torque than top end. That could also be more due to the problems I am
trying to fix than the cam profile.

How should I go about measuring the lift to figure out what I really have in
there? I desperately don't want to pull the engine apart to do this. I am
hoping for a "simplish" dial gauge or whatnot method with the valve cover
off.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6 (mystery machine)