Modifying rubber compounds - window seals

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Modifying rubber compounds - window seals
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:09:35 -0500
OK... tough one for the 'real' techies...

I've got a rear window seal, I need to 'soften and stretch'
the rubber on so it will bend around the window glass.
Why soften/stretch? Well the old seal (on the car when purchased)
had split where it curved around the corners of the glass.
I want to 'stress relieve this outer edge of the seal so it
doesn't happen again so quickly.

The problem is the seal is not 'shaped' to the window.
It is simply one long extrusion of rubber. The outer most
lip that is most visible is thin and splits rather quickly.

(this is the  seal on the glass of a Triumph GT6 rear hatch)

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com