Re: Modifying rubber compounds - window seals

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Modifying rubber compounds - window seals
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:30:45 -0500
Boil in water.

No kidding!

I don't remember what the rubber part was, but a while ago I had to
install a new rubber something that is a bugger to get on.  It came with
instructions to boil the part in water for a few minutes and then
install.  Sure enough, the rubber was *much* softer and *much* more
stretchy.   Works nicely on old rubber parts as well btw.

No known environmental hazards with water. :)

>>> "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com> 01/19/03 05:09AM >>>
OK... tough one for the 'real' techies...

I've got a rear window seal, I need to 'soften and stretch'
the rubber on so it will bend around the window glass.
Why soften/stretch? Well the old seal (on the car when purchased)
had split where it curved around the corners of the glass.
I want to 'stress relieve this outer edge of the seal so it
doesn't happen again so quickly.

The problem is the seal is not 'shaped' to the window.
It is simply one long extrusion of rubber. The outer most
lip that is most visible is thin and splits rather quickly.