RE: Barrett Jackson

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>, <pethier@isd.net>, <jrhill@chorus.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Barrett Jackson
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:07:09 -0500
Andy, I agree with some of what you say, but I would tend to disagree
with the example of the Barrett-Jackson auction.  B-J has developed a
great reputation and seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.  If cars
that had been auctioned off were found out to be "Bondo specials" or
similar, that would reflect badly on B-J, and their business would
suffer greatly.  So in this regard, I would disagree.

BUT, I would agree that there is a large number of dealers and owners
out there who are not so nice.  It appears, and I certainly don't know
for sure, but in the more exclusive class of cars, that the owners and
future owners are well aware of the cars that are available and this
type of thing would tend to happen less.  I don't know if that's simply
due to better documentation or a close-knit group of owners, which is
more easily possible when they might have only made 200 or so of
whatever car it is.

I think the caveat of buyer beware is certainly a good one to live by,
but it's sad that we always have to be on the lookout for a swindler.

Luckily, the list members on this list, seem to be of a higher caliber.

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2