RE: Cast valve cover

Subject: RE: Cast valve cover
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:05:45 -0500
Mark,
Sorry about the ticket!
I use a tacky sealant, like "copper-coat" or others that may be better,
to attach the gasket to the valve cover. Of course the gasket is always
misshapen and this is easier said than done, but hopefully you get the
idea. Make sure the head is very clean in the area where the gasket will
fit.
Then I carefully place the cover on the head with no sealant between it
and the valve cover. Do not over torque the valve cover or the gasket
will slip in or out, away from the cover. I get very little if any oil
leakage around the gasket. I use sealing washers under the acorn washers
also, with limited success.
Good luck, and get a radar detector...

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

I have just received my polished alloy valve cover for the TR6. :^) In
the
appropriate fashion, my act of buying a part for the TR6 was punished by
receiving a nasty speeding ticket. :^(   More time in court. (sigh...)

I notice that the new cover does not have a lip on the lower side to
keep
the cork gasket positioned between the cover and the head. What is the
best
method/material to use to glue the gasket to the cover so that it looks
nice
and doesn't leak?

Mark Hooper
72 TR6