Stromberg vs. SU's

To: "Bill Haenlin" <whaenlin@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Stromberg vs. SU's
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:49:45 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h0MFu770027473
Message text written by "Bill Haenlin"
>Ok, now I'm in a bit of a quandry and ready to start a Hatfield and
McCoy battle on the list.  I've been offerered several sets of Zenith
Stromberg 175 CD like those that were originally on the car (65 TR4a)
and well, too be honest I was pursuing the SU's because that's what
everyone else seems to do, replace bergs with SU's, so since I really
don't know and am not knowledgeable enough about the carbs and such, why
would I want SU's over Strombergs or vice versa??  Which would I be
better off with?  Pros Cons??
<

It's all a matter of opinion.  Folks who are familiar with the SU's don't
like the Z-S's because they are "differ'nt."  They don't adjust the same
way and they have parts the SU's don't.  On the other hand I have always
had good luck with Strombergs.  They may be a bit more difficult to set but
they don't drift and require less frequent adjustment (that is why they
were used on emissions spec vehicles).  If your "bergs are working fine,
don't mess with it.

And that's my opinion and it is very right.  ;-)

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3 (with SU's from a Volvo because the H6's wouldn't adjust and need
throttle shaft bushings)
71 TR6 (w/ Strombergs)
80 TR8 (w/ Strombergs)