SU vs Stromberg

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU vs Stromberg
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:23:37 -0800 (PST)
Okay Ill chime in on the SU vs Stromberg postings.

Ive had a good bit of experience with the early H6 SUs  and the early
Strombergs fitted to TR4s. I'll admit upfront that I havent ever had a set of
the SU  HS6s though.

Ive swapped the carbs back and forth on my car several times.

I agree with whomever said the early SU choke linkage sucks.

I too have had these long throat carbs stuck on the later long runner intake
manifold.  I had to do it cause I put a TR4A exhaust manifold on which is
incompatible with the early style intake manifold.

This setup worked fine (except the choke linkage in my case)  but the carbs
stuck WAYYY off the engine.  Their stock air filters actually rubbed the
outside edge of the bubble in the hood.

Ill have to disagree with whomever said that the Strombergs looked too big.

The TR4 175CD carbs look a little squattier, but they are also VERY simple and
small looking to me.  The choke bar in particular is SOOOO simple compared to
later 175CD2 Strombergs choke mechanism.

ON the other hand, because of their simplicity they dont have bypass circuits
or temperature compensators.  Nor do I think they have adjustable needles.
(okay, you might be able to telescope them in and out a little and lock them in
place.)

Im going to curse myself now . .but I will go out and state that Ive had good
luck with the early TR-4 type Strombergs.
Come drive my car.  It works good.  It just isnt too pretty.

Yes holes for the throttle shafts can get worn out and can need to be fixing.
That can happen on LOTS of carbs.

I have also heard about float problems.
Whomever said something about marine epoxy and it fixing the floats. .  . do
post it to the VTR website maintenance.
Cause Ive heard this float complaint several times.

If you are really into picking different needles . . you may be out of luck for
the Strombergs there.
I suppose you could probably adapt an SU needle if you really got into it
though.

So in summation . . I wouldnt S**tcan your TR4 175CDs just cause it seems
like the thing everyone else is doing.

If on the other hand you do . . . feel free to send them over to the Tilton
household.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday   Was H6,  now 175CD  might go try the DGV's for fun!
Leesburg, VA