10 inch TR3 drums

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 10 inch TR3 drums
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:26:24 -0800 (PST)
What a hassle it is to restore the rear drums on some
TR3s! The brake system on my 59 TR3A (TS42099L) was
completely shot and I have been slowly reconditioning
it. The front disks aren't too bad re available parts,
but very few parts are still available for the
original 10" drum setup. I should have just switched
over to 9", but I am in too deep now. Got some
excellent condition drums and had them turned and
shoes relined. The adjuster assemblies seem
restorable, but both sides are missing the wheel
cylinder. Surprise, wheel cylinders are NA. They do
have repair kits, but I need something to repair.

So, anyone have the appropriate wheel cylinders, in
rebuildable condition? The ones I'm looking for have
5/8" bores (.625"). Here's a silly question: why won't
the slightly earlier .75" bore cylinders work? They
are slotted like the 5/8" (or so the description says)
and are actually available, tho expensive at almost
$50 each.

And, a history lesson on why they went from slotted
.75" bore to .625" bore with the seemingly same setup
(drum, shoes, adjuster, etc...) would be great to
read.

Thanks for any help,

Richard
TS42099L under sloooow rebuild