RE: 10 inch TR3 drums

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 10 inch TR3 drums
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:57:42 -0800
> Here's a silly question: why won't
> the slightly earlier .75" bore cylinders work? They
> are slotted like the 5/8" (or so the description says)
> and are actually available, tho expensive at almost
> $50 each.

Actually, they will work.  They increase braking action at the rear, which
can lead to premature lockup of the rear wheels.

It wouldn't be cheap, but I'm almost certain that Apple Hydraulics (probably
others as well) can sleeve a .75" cylinder down to .625", and a machine shop
should be able to turn the pistons down to fit.  An easier way to solve the
balance problem (if indeed you have one) might to be fit some front pads
with a higher coefficient of friction (available from TSi, etc.) or even the
ever-popular 4-pot Toyota caliper conversion (which is a bit of a pain on a
TR3A).

Haven't tried either of these myself, my car was long ago converted to 9"
brakes (and needs more braking action in the rear, not less).

> And, a history lesson on why they went from slotted
> .75" bore to .625" bore with the seemingly same setup
> (drum, shoes, adjuster, etc...) would be great to
> read.

I believe it's for exactly the reason I mentioned, they were getting
complaints of the rear wheels locking up under hard braking.  But I don't
know that for a fact, perhaps Jonmac or someone can better describe the
events.

Randall