Strombergs Vs. SU's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Strombergs Vs. SU's
From: whaenlin@carolina.rr.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:33:25 GMT
Well !!  Ok I'm now more confused than ever.  My question
generated a huge number of responses.  A friend of mine,
Jack McGahey, summarized it best when he said:

Seems the opinion of which is a better carb is based soley
on what you started with, for example: If you started out
with say a TR2 or 3 with SU's and got comfy with those
then you will lean towards those, like wise I found that
those with TR6's had a tendancy to be very hot about
Strombergs!!  So believe it or not and equal number of
folks replied to me and so it left me right down the
middle again!  Both parties feel they can get great
performance from their type of carbs and then there were
little things about mileage and so forth but nothing that
really compelled an unknowledgable person like me one way
or the other.  After having worked for Microsoft for 12
years if you asked me my opinion about the performance of
one type of CPU or the other I'd be right there with the
knowledge needed but in this realm I'm helpless like a
baby <big grin>

So I chose to grab a complete set of Strombergs from Ebay
the other night with linkages, K&N filters and manifold.
They were fully rebuilt and ready to go, price $325, I
felt that was a good deal compared to what I was being
qouted from my ad on VTR.org for SU's and or ZS's.  So
like a good lister I will report back on how I feel about
these when I get them, mount them, tune them and drive the
damn car for the first time !!!!

A big huge thanks to all who replied, I have learned so
damn much it's unreal!!!!  Also, I have a nice set of SU
HS6 carbs from a Volvo, with linkages, manifold and
complete TRF rebuild kit I'll let go for $200 to anyone
that wants it!!.

Bill Haenlin
TCOC Webeditor
www.triumphclub.org