TR3 thin belt conversion (encore et toujours)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 thin belt conversion (encore et toujours)
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:18:44 -0800 (PST)
Well,
I spent some time yesterday with fellow lister Bill (Hi Bill!),
looking at MGB crank pulleys of different vintages and even
Sprite/Midget ones.
What we observed was that:
a) no matter the vintage (3-main, 5-main), the MGB pulley seems to be
just over 5" diameter. This is in accorandance with the facsimile of
the MGB parts list from TRF, that lists only one pulley until engine
GF, which encompass the 3-main and the first years of 5-main
production
b) the MGB crank front end shaft seems to be the same diameter as the
TR3/4, indeed
c) the spridget crank pulley of the 1275 engine has a diameter of 4
5/8" to 4 3/4". That seemed promissing. However, this pulley does not
have the correct center hole diameter for the TR3/4, so I doubt that
anyone would adapt it for this application.

All in all, I make little progess but I am starting to believe that
if it is an early MGB pulley that I need, it'll be 5 1/8". But I
still wonder what's the difference between an early MGB and a late
MGB pulley.

Thanks for your time
Francois