Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:40:41 -0800 (PST)
After receiving very few replies to my quandry (GR
starter not spinning flywheel), I decided to start
some troubleshooting. I sort of had to wait anyway, as
I only get to work for a couple hours, late into the
evening.

I pulled the tranny (it was only on loosely anyway)
and took a close peak at how the starter is engaging
the flywheel. Much to my horror, it (the starter) is
hitting 1/8th to MAYBE 1/4 of an inch *inside* of the
teeth of the flywheel. So, it was basically slamming
the surface of the flywheel and would eventually catch
a tooth and spin for a bit before binding up. Egads!

Possible problems:

1. Flywheel is wrong. I had a pick of several
flywheels from dad's garage and just picked the one in
best shape without thinking one might be different
from the other. Are they different, and is it this
marginal? A flywheel that was just half an inch
smaller in diameter would work.

2. Starter is wrong. This is a reconditioned starter
from TRF, bought at 2002 winter sale. The only
stamping on it is: REMAN notice, #16251 in upper left
corner and 04001 right below. Spindle seems to be
shooting out straight and true.

3. Engine mount is bent. Don't think so... everything
looks as it should.

SO, my plea goes to out the list again. If no
weekend. Guess I can still test the carbs and run some
test wiring for dizzy, coil and all that in
preparation of running in engine.

HHmmm, just thought... maybe I need to widen engine
mount to allow starter a bit more 'wiggle room'.
NAAAH.

Richard
TS42099L