Smog exemption in CA

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog exemption in CA
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:58:00 -0800
I have been putting my '74 TR6 back together
after a total engine rebuild, and was
waffling regarding whether to use the stock
compression and Strombergs, or mill the head
and do something more creative for the intake.

Here in CA, it was mandated that all cars
post 1973 had to pass the smog test, and any
changes here probably would cause it to fail.

Anyway, I just pulled this off the DMV site
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

> How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?
> Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog
>certification requirements.
> Example: The calendar year is 2003- 29 = 1974 exempt year model
> The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog
>certification.

-- "free at last, free at last."

A tag question, any opinions/experience out
there regarding how much to mill the head
related to available octane?  I want to be
able to run it on pump gas.

thanks,

doug