Re: TR4 Dash

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Dash
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:09:37 -0700
Tim I. Purdy wrote:

>Has anyone done this, and if so, what is the degree of technically.

I did this on my TR4 last year.  I would rate it: time-consuming but not
difficult.  As noted in another post -- labeled containers are a must...
Ziplocs, film canisters, baby food jars, etc. as well as attaching
masking tape labels to some connections.  I will help if your wiring
harness is 'as original' -- then a good wiring diagram will be a back-up
to your notes & labels.

I kept a spiral bound notebook and numbered and described each step (no
matter how small, simple or obvious).  Some use a digital camera and get
lots of pics but for this job I preferred to just make simple drawings
of gauges, etc to guide reassembly.  It is so simple to pull the
steering wheel with the upper column still attached that I would suggest
you do this -- then you can get the metal dash well out of the way.  I
had the advantage of having no heater (didn't seem like such an
advantage yesterday at 7:00 am) so I was able to disconnect and
reconnect the gauges in situ -- might not be feasible with the
heater/defroster stuff in place.

For the oil gauge I disconnected the line at the fitting down by the
fuel pump and withdrew the gauge with the line attached -- I don't think
you want to mess with the line at the gauge (obviously don't start the
engine with this line open -- but then step 1 was disconnect the
battery, right?).

You will need to pull the windscreen frame/glass off the car (if I
understand correctly that you are replacing dash pads) -- not difficult
but some can be stubborn -- and you may want to replace some rubber that
that time.

Here are some pics from the task:

http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/tr4-interior.html

Geo Hahn