TR3 rear hub stud installation

To: "Sluggo Rob" <rksuggitt@sympatico.ca>
Subject: TR3 rear hub stud installation
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:34:25 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h2AEgb4V014614
Message text written by "Sluggo Rob"
>I spent half a day removing a damaged stud from the rear hub of my 3A.  It
got
much easier once I figured out that it was threaded into the hub.  Has
anyone
installed a new stud?  It looks like the original was threaded in to the
hub
then peened over on the back with a 3 million ton press.  I was thinking of
accomplishing the same thing with a gob of weld from the mig on the back of
the hub

Questions:

Will the heat from the mig warp the hub?
Will the gob of weld cause wheel imbalance?
Is there an alternate type of stud that is just pressed in from the back of
the hub?

<

Rob, a friend of mine lost a wheel whilst under way due to stud breakage.
Upon investigation it was discovered that the studs were "tacked" to the
hubs for security.  The theory was that the heat from welding caused the
studs to get brittle and they subsequently snapped.  When the rear wing was
being repaired (wheels don't leave wheel wells very discretely) some fo the
studs on the other rear wheel also broke.  They, too, were welded.

This may be anecdotal evidence, but it screams "DON'T WELD" on the hubs.

Randall's suggestion of thread locker is probably the best.  Another
possibility, if you are not comfortable with locktight is to drill and tap
holes radially in the hubs and use set screws to lock the studs into place.

Cheers,

Dave