RE: To Color Tune, or Not?

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[051AA6E0:01C308C8] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h3MCCLio008787
Subject: RE: To Color Tune, or Not?
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:09:26 -0500
I bought a Colortune on sale about 2 years ago and I've been very happy
with it.

I use it about once per season to check the mixture and then I rely on
the color of the sparkplugs for periodic checks.

I'm also one of those guys that believe once your carbs are set up,
leave them alone.

Bill
74 TR6
Atlanta

To: MotoPsyche@aol.com; triumphs@autox.team.net

> I'm looking for advice from experienced hands regarding the
> effectiveness of the Gunson Colortune system for setting the proper
> fuel/air mix on my TR3A's
> SU H6 carbs.  Greatest thing since sliced bread or high tech overload?
> What's the most effective method to get it right consistently?

I've never tried a Colourtune, but the old "lift the piston" test is
quick, easy, sensitive and accurate.  When everything is right, even
half of one flat on the mixture nut makes a noticeable difference.
(Conversely, if you don't get that sensitive peak, there's something
wrong that should be fixed before adjusting the mixture, like timing or
valve lash.)  Best of all, it's free!

Randall