Re: Oil Filter Rope Trick

To: J Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Rope Trick
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:02:13 -0400
Justin Wagner wrote:

> Sometimes low tech is the answer!  I'm sure it's been done
> before, but it was a forgotten art for me.  My oil filter just
> didn't want to come off, but then I remembered something I
> had tried years ago.  See what you think!  I figured I'd write it
> up to share.  (Yes, I use a spin-on oil filter adapter on my TR
> 4A.)   --Justin Wagner

Good tip, Justin!

If for some reason the rope trick doesn't work, you may want to try heating
the oil filter with a hair dryer or a heat gun (low setting).  I've used a
hair dryer plenty of times to loosen up very stubborn oil filters and they
just twist right off when they get nice and warm.  Do use your judgment
though, if your heatgun is capable of 800+ degF or some other absurd
temperature then you might just want to use a household hair dryer.

So those are two alternatives to poking a screwdriver through your oil
filter when it won't come off...

Kai