RE: US Power Outage

To: "'David Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>, "'105671.471@compuserve.com'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'jonmac@ndirect.co.uk'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: US Power Outage
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:34:35 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
The outage seems to have started on the Niagara Mohawk grid. Quebec runs a
separate grid. This is partially for political reasons, but apparently is
mostly due to the long distances from James Bay and Churchill Falls down to
Montreal. Apparently the induction over these long hauls means that the
system had to be wired slightly differently as relates to the sub-stations
and load balancing. Anyway, Montreal is fine, but Toronto and Ottawa got
pasted. I got a note in from a colleague in Toronto who said that she has
been going with friends to parks to barbeque dinner since there is no power
in the house. They were hopeful for this evening. Hydro Quebec isn't crowing
too much, everybody still remembers the 1998 ice storm when they put 3.5
million people in the dark for 6-26 days in the middle of winter!

Mark